4D Number Plates
Made-to-order 4D number plates that modernise any vehicle
- Style – Select from 4D 3mm, 5mm, or gel letters. All are applied using a high-strength adhesive. Check out our product gallery or select the relevant option to see how they look.
- Legal or Show Plate – Either a legal or a show plate. Show plates are not legal to use for daily driving and are for decorative, promotional purposes only.
- Plate Type – Choose if you require both sets of plates, front & rear, or one side only.
- Tinted – Add a tinted look to your plate by selecting this extra
- Border – Choose whether or not you would like a bordered design
- Side Badges – Choose if you would like a Union Jack or Scotland side badge
Plate depth to make your number plate stand out
What are the benefits of choosing a 4D plate?
- Plates are reinforced, meaning they are more durable than standard ones. No more lost plates, thanks to minor knocks and power-washing instances!
- The sleek look gives any vehicle a modern and premium.
- Numbers and letters are highly visible, increasing the safety of your vehicle on the road. This helps other road users, as well as pedestrians and cyclists.
What other reasons do people choose a 4D plate?
As well as boasting a modern and unique appearance, 4D plates offer other benefits attached to the polished design.
- A personalised, 4D number plate can hide the age of a vehicle. With the average UK car over 8 years old and the cost of living continuing to rise, people are holding onto their vehicles for longer. The age of your car is legally included within your paperwork; there is no reason why the number plate date must define a well-kept vehicle. As a 4D plate offers a modern look, people favour these designs for older vehicles when combined with a personalised option. Even if the plate is not personalised and just a 4D version of the existing characters, it still gives a modern appearance to older vehicles.
- Improved visibility not just during the day but also at night. 24% of cars in the UK are parked on roads overnight, meaning that visibility must be high so as not to have any issues with approaching vehicles in the dark. A 4D plate improves safety at night-time as the raised profile stands out even more when met with light. Even a dim streetlight is enough to make these raised designs stand out and offer protection to your vehicle.
- Represent your own unique personality through your car. Custom plates are fun and forward-thinking and help true car fanatics stand out from the rest. A 4D plate lets others know more about your own personality whilst ensuring your vehicle looks superior when lined up against others. Perhaps you are a creative person, a die-hard petrolhead, or just someone who has worked hard to invest in their vehicle. Whatever your reason, a 4D number plate can help your car stand out for all the right reasons and make you proud as an owner.
What is the difference between 3D and 4D number plates?
What are the rules for number plates in the UK?
UK law stipulates that number plates must display writing in an untitled font called Charles Wright New or Mandatory. The letters and numbers must comply with specific spacing and alignment.
The current vehicle registration number format was introduced in 2001. It consists of:
- 2 letters (these refer to the region in the country where your vehicle was first registered)
- 2 numbers (these tell you when it was issued)
- 3 letters are chosen at random
By law, the DVLA requires the number plates on your vehicles to meet the following conditions:
- be made from a reflective material
- display black characters on a white background (for the front plate)
- display black characters on a yellow background (for the rear plate)
- not have a background pattern
- be marked to show who supplied the number plate
- be marked with a British Standard number – this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021
The characters on your number plate must not be removable or reflective. If your number plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.
On your number plate, the law allows you to have 3D (raised characters), certain flags, symbols and identifiers. If you have a zero-emission vehicle, your number plate is allowed to display a green flash.
Moreover, it is illegal to disfigure number plates in a way which makes them hard to read. For example, if your private plate has the number ‘1’, you cannot place a screw or bolt on top of it to make it look like the letter ‘I’.
The process is simple as long as you are the registered vehicle owner. To invest in a new 4D plate, you will need to provide us with:
- Proof that you are the owner using either the V5C or V5CNI logbook, V5C/2 or V5C/2NI new keeper slip, or the V778 certificate.
- A form of ID which proves your name and identity, such as your driving license, passport, or a utility bill
All data and records are kept completely secure when you provide us with access. By checking these documents, we are also meeting legal motoring standards, which contributes to the safety of your new plate.
If you are a first-time offender, police will issue you with a ‘vehicle defect rectification notice’, giving you 14 days to get the plate made legal and get the form stamped by an official supplier, which then gets handed into your local police station.
It is important to keep your private plate clean: if it gets cloned by criminals, you could receive speeding tickets or parking fines that do not belong to you. If this happens, return the tickets and fines to the issuing authority, and explain what happened, providing any evidence to prove this.
Our office opening hours are 9-5 Monday-Friday, except on national holidays at which our offices will be closed. If you wish to contact us outside of these hours, we are available 24/7 via emails and live chat.
As the materials we use are at the very highest of quality, every style of plate comes with a 12 MONTHS WARRANTY, this includes UV protection, lamination peel + raised letter adhesive. (one of the only companies to offer such an extensive warranty).
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate in contacting us on firstname.lastname@example.org
For change of delivery address requests, we are able to change the address at any time before the order has been dispatched, please email email@example.com to amend the delivery address.