Plate modification has many different categories, all of these customisation options for registration plates add character to your vehicle. Hex plates are slowly rising along with gel plates as being extremely popular.
That’s why, In this blog, we will be answering the question ‘Why are hex registration plates trending?’
As an established registration plate maker, we at Bespoke Plates know how to add a unique and distinctive finish to your vehicle registration plate, further stating a level of individuality that can be the finishing touch to a vehicle you have already customised.
Bespoke Plates is a renowned and legally certified registration plate maker and installer, with options of 3D Plates, 4D plates, Show plates, and regular / electric vehicle plates and more. We are the one-stop shop for all things registration plates!
Whether it’s a private plate, gel plate, standard registration plate or plating accessories, we have you covered.
As a certified and experienced team of plate fitters and makers, our plates are installed to the specification of UK law, provided alongside the appropriate paperwork you need. (The only exception to this is show plates.)
Hex plates explained
Simply put, a Hex plate is a registration plate that is shaped with six sides, as opposed to the regular 4-sided rectangular shape. The shape of the Hex plate is an elongated hexagon, hence the name.
There are alternate versions of Hex plates in which the points on each side can be higher or lower, along with other shaped registration plates.
Hex plates don’t have a specific benefit aside from its distinct aesthetics. However, we at Bespoke Plates can provide a Hex plate in conjunction with gel characters, which nominally reinforces the durability of your plate whilst adding a further layer of style to your registration plate.
Can Hex plates be applied to any vehicle?
Yes, Hex plates can be applied to any vehicle that has an area specifically meant for a registration plate. There may be rare occasions in the future where certain plates may not be attachable to certain vehicles, but at the moment, this isn’t the case.
Why are hex registration plates trending?
Hex registration plates are trending for a number of reasons, here are a few.
- Hex registration plates provide a unique look to your registration plate, in conjunction with a 3D or 4D plate the uniqueness is only amplified.
- Hex registration plates are affordable, which is quite rare in the car customisation market.
- Hex registration plates are completely legal (if you purchase and/or get them installed from a certified registration plate vendor.
- Hex registration plates are an easy starting point for car customisation, it doesn’t require extensive time to create, and fit. Plus, you can replace it with your original registration plate if you don’t like it.
- Hex registration plates take inspiration from the iconic Lamborgini and it’s Hex-styled plates. People naturally want to emulate one of the most iconic vehicle brands of all time, obtaining a Hex plate is the easiest way to do that.
Is there a better option than Hex plates?
A ‘better’ option is purely subjective to the taste of the person who looking for registration plate modification. In terms of other shapes, there may be variations on the Hex plate available, or altogether different shapes.
Be wary if you do select a unique plate shape, do your due diligence and make sure the registration plate maker is certified, and make sure the plate shape itself is legal. Please be aware that show plates can have any modification you please on them, that does not make them legal to drive with on a public road.
The legalities of a Hex plate
*Please do your due diligence and research, some unverified licence plate providers may not be making their plates to the legal specification, which could become a massive inconvenience for you. Visiting Bespoke Plates is the best way to avoid this trouble.
Alternatively, using the government gateway to find licenced and approved plate makers is the best option for peace of mind and finding a plate maker close to you. Enter your postcode on the government gateway website.
What are the legal requirements for a registration plate?
The legal terms that a registration plate must adhere to are:
- be made from a reflective material – for road safety
- black display characters on a white background (front plate)
- black display characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
- not have a background pattern – so as not to distort the readability of your plate
- be marked to show who supplied the registration plate – to assist with thefts and sourcing queries
- be marked with a British Standard number – this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021
- Characters must not be removable or reflective. If your registration plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.
You can find the full list of legal requirements here.
Can Hex plates pass an MOT?
MOTs have a variety of factors that must meet a standard in order to pass, if these standards are met, this means your vehicle is safe for road use and isn’t a hazard to you or other road users/ passengers and pedestrians.
Registration plates fall within the parameters of an MOT. Any plate, regardless if it is gel or a Hex plate, will pass an MOT as long as it meets legal specifications and is securely attached to the front and rear bumper respectively.
To make sure your registration plate is MOT worthy, make sure:
- The plate is securely attached, not loose or attached with below par methods such as tape.
- The plate is readable. It can have scuffs and scratches, as long as they don’t affect the visibility of the characters.
- The plate abides by the legal parameters previously mentioned.
How to order a Hex plate
By following these steps you will have the option to see the plate before making a decision.
Visualising how your plate can look in real-time, with the characters from your actual registration plate, saves time and makes it easy for you to know what you want before you get it. Let us walk you through the process of choosing your plate through us.
- Head to the Bespoke Plates website
- Select the “Hex Number Plate” option under the “Build Your Plate” tab
- Enter your registration
- Choose between having a regular plate, or the 3D/4D options
- Select optional accessories.
- Choose if you are collecting with installation, or if you want it to be delivered.
Order your Hex plate today
In this blog, we have highlighted our Hex plates, and all the information you need in order to add this stylish customisation option to your plate. We aim to have answered the question ‘Why are hex registration plates trending? We hope that we provided all the right answers and options for all of your plate modification needs.
Bespoke Plates have all the options you can ask for, as an approved licence vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.
To get in touch and discuss the full fitting service we offer with our plates you can talk to one of the members of our team by:
Phone 0333 006 7878
36A Broughton Street,