In this blog, we will answer the question ‘Where to get number plates made?’’
Bespoke Plates is a renowned and legally certified registration platemaker and installer, with options of 3D Plates, 4D Plates, Show Plates, and regular / Electric Vehicle Plates and more. We are the one-stop shop for all things registration plates!
Whether it’s a Private Plate, Gel Plate, Standard Registration Plate or plating accessories, we have you covered.
As a certified and experienced team of plate fitters and makers, our plates are installed to the specification of UK law, provided alongside the appropriate paperwork you require. (The only exception to this is show plates.)
When would I need to get a number plate made?
- Attempted or total theft of the plate.
- Damage from a high velocity impact.
- Old age.
- Hazards on the road.
- Improper application or removal of the plate or plate accessories.
- Bumper damage
- Driving off-road in an unsuitable vehicle
- Freak weather conditions.
However, a damaged plate may not always mean it needs replacing.
You don’t need to replace your number plate if…
- The damage does not affect the readability of the number plate.
- Your plate has scratches or scuffs that do not impact the plate’s readability.
- It is slightly chipped on its edges.
For those looking to avoid as much damage as possible to their plate, you should be aware of the following factors that could damage your plate. Additionally, a damaged plate does mean it will be slightly weaker, making it more prone to breakage.
A number plate can be damaged by…
- Impact from other vehicles or accidents.
- Purposeful damage, or attempted theft
- Exposure to acidic chemicals
Broken number plates
Broken number plates should not be driven with under any circumstances. Contacting the relevant authorities, (Lease provider, Police, or insurer) and ordering a replacement immediately is the best course of action moving forward.
For the sake of total clarity, a broken number plate is a number plate that is damaged to the degree where it is in more than one piece and can not be repaired.
Where can I get show plates from?
Show plates are used for decorative purposes. They can be made to commemorate certain events, or given as a decorative gift. Under no circumstances are these plates road legal. You may not drive with these plates on any public road.
If you neglect our guidance we have highlighted above, and choose to drive with your show plate, we hold no responsibility over this. If you are caught, you will face the consequences that can include fines, seizure, points, arrest, and possibly more.
Where to get number plates made?
Number plates can only be Legally made at an approved platemaker. You can find government approved platemakers near you by accessing the link here. All you need to do is enter your postcode.
Unfortunately, number plates can be manufactured illegally, too. This is usually the case when criminals decide to clone a number plate. These cloned plates are eventually found out, this can be due to the plate’s actual owner informing the police after receiving fines, or by the police being proactive in their duties.
Do I have to get plates installed by the platemaker?
Not at all, Bespoke Plates is the one-stop-shop for all things number plate related. Whether you are after replacement standard plates, gel plates, private plates, or just some accessories, we have you covered.
Alongside installation options, we also can have your plate delivered to you directly, if you choose to install it yourself. However, we strongly urge for you to get your plate installed by a professional if you don’t have the tools or experience to do so yourself.
How do I know if the platemaker is approved?
Firstly, accessing the previously mentioned link will tell you which platemakers are legitimate or not. Secondly, an approved platemaker will ask for one of the following documentation to confirm you are able to get the plate.
The supplier will ask for documents that prove the following:
- Your name and address
- That you’re allowed to use the registration number.
You can use the following to confirm your name and address:
- driving licence
- utility, Council Tax or rates bill from the last 6 months
- bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
- national identity card
The following will confirm your name only:
- passport – does not have to be issued in the UK
- bank or building society debit or credit card
- police warrant card
- armed forces identity card
Permission to use the registration number
You must bring one of the following to show you’re allowed to display the registration number:
- vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI)
- green ‘new keeper’ slip from the V5C or V5CNI
- certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number
- retention document (V778)
- a renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI)
- temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI)
- a number plate authorisation certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
- an electronic number plate authorisation certificate (eV948 or eV948/2)
- a letter of authorisation from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate
- if your fleet is in the new V5C on demand scheme (also called ‘V5C suppression’), a PDF of the vehicle’s details from the view vehicle record service
- UK trailer registration certificate (VTRC)
How to get new number plates online
Bespoke Plates makes the hassle of getting yourself a brand-new number plate easy and efficient. Here is the process.
By following these steps, you will also have the option to see the plate before making a decision.
Visualising how your plate can look in real-time, with the characters from your actual registration plate, saves time and makes it easy for you to know what you want before you get it. Let us walk you through the process of choosing your plate through us.
- Head to the Bespoke Plates website
- Select the plate style you want under the “Build Your Plate” tab. Alternatively, you can follow this link.
- Enter your registration (You can press ‘preview’ to see your registration with all the modification options you have selected.)
- When selecting your chosen plate, you can opt for 3D/4D options, a Hex plate, and whether you want a legal plate or a show plate.
- Select preferred optional accessories.
- Decide if you are collecting with installation, or if you want it to be delivered.
Installing through Bespoke Plates ensures the best service & secure installation for your number plate, along with guidance for any questions you may have.
Get number plates made today
In this blog, we have highlighted our plate options, and the information you need in order to obtain our stylish customisation options for your vehicle. We aim to have answered the question, ‘Where to get number plates made?’.
We hope that we have provided all the right answers and options for all of your plate modification needs.
Bespoke Plates has all the options you can ask for, as an approved registration vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.
To get in touch and discuss the full fitting service we offer with our plates, you can talk to one of the members of our team by:
Phone 0333 006 7878
36A Broughton Street,