At Bespoke Plates, we know how much love, effort and investment goes into the cars of the many clients we serve. As a verified 5-star rated business on Trustpilot, we make sure the quality we put into creating number plates is reflected in their resilience against anything that could damage them on the road. That is why we go the extra mile and offer number plate holders, but you may be wondering, what is a number plate holder and why would I need one?
What is a number plate holder and why it would be needed?
So, what is a number plate holder? Well, the function of a number plate holder is rather self-explanatory, so to illustrate its effectiveness we would like to explain what the standard is when it comes to attaching registration plates to a vehicle and how this may be detrimental in the long term.
A standard number plate is generally applied to the front & back bumper of vehicles with two screws on each side of the plate followed by a screw cap. This is a tried and tested method and is reliable enough as long as the screws are tightly fixed.
The lack of a frame around the registration plate can make it susceptible to debris that can be encountered on any road or motorway and with enough force could chip the borders of the plate. This is something you’d want to avoid especially if you’ve purchased a 3D, 4D or personalised number plate.
You may be wondering what is a number plate holder we at Bespoke Plates offer. Well, the number plate holder we offer benefits from having protection around the borders of your plate whilst also allowing it screwed onto the bumper without going through the plate itself. This ensures that you don’t have to worry about drilling through your brand-new personalised plate.
Number plate holders also add an extra layer of security to your private plate as it makes it more difficult for thieves to steal them and use your plate to fool security cameras and ANPR’s. Driving without a number plate can lead to a £1000 fine, so it’s in your best interest to have your license plate restored.
We offer a full fitting service for your plate, so you can rest easy knowing your new plate is in the best hands. We understand some of you may want to attach your number plate holder yourself but may not know how to, not to worry, we have got you covered. Read on to find out how.
How to attach a number plate holder
To attach a number plate holder to your car, you would need the right-sized screw pack along with a screw cap and electronic drill, we at Bespoke plates sell a screw pack so you don’t have to look anywhere else.
The steps to install a number plate holder yourself is as follows:
- Align the number plate holder to the bumper,
- Drill the screws into the bumper using the holes in the number plate holder as a guide
- Make sure screws are fastened & covered with a screw cap
- Place your license plate in the holder
- Close the holder
We recommend that if you are not confident with DIY, do not attempt to install your holder as you may permanently damage your vehicle. We offer a full fitting service to attach your number plate holder for you.
What if I want to attach my plate without a holder
Aside from the option of drilling, Bespoke plates offer the accessories you need to attach your plate to the car yourself. An example is our adhesive sticky pads that are two-sided, offering a hassle-free option when attaching your plate to the bumper. To install the plate with the tape you must:
- Clear the number plate and the mounting surface.
- Clean the mounting surface and the back of the new plate. This is an important step, as it will ensure that the sticky pads adhere to both your plate and the vehicle more effectively.
- Fix the stick pads to your license plate.
- After cleaning your surfaces thoroughly, remove the adhesive pads from their packaging on one side, and stick this to the back of your number plate. Next, remove the backing of the sticky pad on the side that you will fix onto your vehicle. Do not touch the adhesive as it could impair its stickiness!
- Press the plate onto the vehicle
- Once you have positioned your number plate correctly, simply press as hard as you can, for a minimum of 10 seconds, to ensure the number plate is secured.
*Note: The number of adhesive pads you use is optional, the more you use the greater the securing of the number plate will be. But please be mindful that using lots of adhesive pads will make it harder to change your number plate in the future.
When attaching a number plate via adhesive glue or sticky plates, please make sure to:
- Not to choose sticky pads or adhesive glues that are not water-resistant. The sealant needs to withstand all weather conditions. We recommend you choose our sticky pads.
- Take care not to scratch your car’s paintwork when you stick on the number plate. We offer a full fitting service so we won’t make any mistakes.
- Do not attach the number plate with weak materials such as Blu Tack, sellotape or PVA glue, as these are not secure enough to keep the plate from falling off.
- Do not attempt to stick a number plate on if the vehicle is dirty, cracked or broken, or if the plate itself is dirty, cracked or broken. Wipe away any debris from the car and the plate before you attach it.
- If removing an old number plate before the application of the new one, do not yank the old number plate off with force. You will have to remove it carefully, especially if it is broken or damaged, not doing this can risk damaging your vehicle.
- If you feel your number plate has loosened, try your best to secure it immediately or consult a professional if you are not sure what to do.
- Do not stick a new number plate on your vehicle if it is a particularly hot day. Wait until the temperature has cooled, and then you can stick on the new plate.
Other methods of self-installation include heavy-duty velcro along with adhesive glue, to explore the method of application with these alternatives, our blog has all the answers that you are looking for. To go over every possible method of installation, click here.
How can I make my plate more durable without having a plate holder?
Although we strongly recommend the usage of a plate holder due to the security and added durability provided by its design, our 3D gel plates and 4D gel plate options offer superior resilience compared to a standard registration plate. This is due to the industrial strength and long-last resin we apply over the characters creating a slightly more reinforced top layer on our 3D and 4D registration plates.
For more information about our 3D number plates, their differences and durability, our blog has an in-depth insight into all things 3D plates, click here to visit our blog. For more information about the legalities of removing your license plate and replacing it with a private plate, please read the information provided by the government.
Personalise your plate today
With the range of options available for you to personalise your plate, and with our plate holders available to refine and protect your new plate, you are now fully equipped with all the information when it comes to number plate holders, their effectiveness and durability.
We sell number plate holders, sticky pads and a screw pack, which will help you secure your number plate to your vehicle, not to mention a full fitting service so you don’t have to worry about securing your plate holder and new plate.
All products by Bespoke Plates are also manufactured in-house using state-of-the-art equipment by our team of talented technicians. The quality that this provides is second to none, with our detailed checking process and craftsmanship resulting in a unique and eye-catching number plate that makes your car that little bit more special for you.
Want to get in touch?
To get in touch and discuss your plate with one of the members of our team you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or give us a call on 0333 006 7878. You can also choose to visit us in-store at:
36A Broughton Street,
We hope for anyone still wondering ‘What is a number plate holder?’ that we provided all the right answers and options for all of your plate modification needs. We at Bespoke Plates have all the options you can ask for, as an approved license vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.