Knowing how to replace your registration plates, or at the very least, knowing who to go to in this instance, is a vital, and time-saving effort, that will only serve to benefit you. That’s why in this blog, we at Bespoke Plates will be giving you guidance on how to replace registration plates.
As an established registration plate maker, we at Bespoke Plates know how to add a unique and distinctive finish to your vehicle registration plate, further stating a level of individuality that can be the finishing touch to a vehicle you have already customised.
Bespoke Plates is a renowned and legally certified registration plate maker and installer, with options of 3D Plates, 4D plates, Show plates, and regular / electric vehicle plates and more. We are the one-stop shop for all things registration plates!
Whether it’s a private plate, gel plate, standard registration plate or plating accessories, we have you covered.
As a certified and experienced team of plate fitters and makers, our plates are installed to the specification of UK law, provided alongside the appropriate paperwork you need. (The only exception to this is show plates.)
Why would a registration plate need to be replaced?
There are two reasons as to why a registration plate would need to be replaced
- It is damaged and unsafe for the road
- The owner wants to get a unique plate such as a private plate or a gel plate.
Depending on the damage on your plate, it could lead to you failing your MOT. To be clear, superficial damage, such as scuffs or slight chips isn’t a problem, it’s only if the damage affects the readability of the plate’s characters, this is when the plate would need replacing.
As there are systems that record our registration plates whilst we drive, it is important that there is nothing in the way that obstructs the camera from reading your plate.
What can I replace my registration plate with?
When replacing your registration plate, you have the option to replace it with
- A standard registration plate
- A Hex styled registration plate
- A 3D or 4D registration plate
- A private plate
All of these options are provided by Bespoke Plates, your one-stop shop for all things plate related.
Although there are concerns in regards to the legality of these plates, it must be noted that from the options we provide, the only option that is not legal to use on public roads in the United Kingdom, is show plates.
How to replace registration plates
Whether you want to replace your registration plate because of physical damage, or you just want a different style of plate, we at Bespoke Plates make the process easy and efficient. Here is the process.
By following these steps you will also have the option to see the plate before making a decision.
Visualising how your plate can look in real-time, with the characters from your actual registration plate, saves time and makes it easy for you to know what you want before you get it. Let us walk you through the process of choosing your plate through us.
- Head to the Bespoke Plates website
- Select the plate style you want under the “Build Your Plate” tab. Alternatively, you can follow this link.
- Enter your registration (You can press ‘preview’ to see your registration with all of the modification options you have selected.)
- Choose between having a regular plate, or the 3D/4D options, and whether or not you want a legal plate or a show plate.
- Select preferred optional accessories.
- Choose if you are collecting with installation, or if you want it to be delivered.
If you choose to install through us, we can remove and replace your old registration plate, taking the hassle and hard work out of your hands. Of course, you can opt to remove your plate yourself.
Replacing registration plates on your own
- First, make sure your new plate has arrived (you can opt for delivery of your new plate on the Bespoke Plates website.)
- Check to see in which way your current plate is attached, is it a screw with a cap over it? Is it in a registration plate holder? Etc
- After determining how it is attached, you need to find out which equipment you may need to remove it. For someone who doesn’t have experience in plate removal, you may not have the tools required for the job.
You also may be paying more to get the tools required (if any) to remove the plate, which may end up costing more in the long run, which is why using our installation services is the best option for anyone.
Are modified registration plates legal?
*Please do your due diligence and research, some unverified registration plate providers may not be making their plates to the legal specification, which could become an inconvenience for you. Visiting Bespoke Plates is the best way to avoid this trouble.
Alternatively, using the government gateway to find licenced and approved plate makers is the best option for peace of mind and finding plate makers close to you. Enter your postcode on the government gateway website.
What are the legal requirements for a registration plate?
The legal terms that a registration plate must adhere to are:
- be made from a reflective material – for road safety
- black display characters on a white background (front plate)
- black display characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
- not have a background pattern – so as not to distort the readability of your plate
- be marked to show who supplied the registration plate – to assist with thefts and sourcing queries
- be marked with a British Standard number – this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021
- Characters must not be removable or reflective. If your registration plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.
You can find the full list of legal requirements here.
Good registration plate replacement vs bad registration plate replacement
A good registration plate replacemet:
- Has all of its characters compliant with legal rules and clearly visible with no obstructions.
- Is securely attached, meaning it is not able to move once attached to the bumper.
- Is visually compliant with rules outlined by the legalities previously highlighted
A bad registration plate replacement
- Results in your plate being hard to read, or has its characters obscured
- Is loose when attached, a loose plate is characterised by it moving whilst it is attached to the bumper
- Follows no rules highlighted by government guidelines
Having an improper plate replacement can result in you being fined, getting points, and/or other legal repercussions. Plate rules are there to keep road users safe. Bespoke plates follow these rules on every installation we conduct.
Upgrade your registration plate today
In this blog, we have highlighted our plate options, and all the information you need in order to our stylish customisation option to your vehicle. We aim to have provided everything you need to know regarding how to replace registration plates.
We hope that we provided all the right answers and options for all of your plate modification needs.
Bespoke Plates have all the options you can ask for, as an approved registration vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.
To get in touch and discuss the full fitting service we offer with our plates you can talk to one of the members of our team by:
Phone 0333 006 7878
36A Broughton Street,