Green number plates are a necessity for electric vehicles, they carry the same legality as regular number plates the only difference is that green plates are exclusive to electric vehicles. Naturally, any vehicle enthusiast may want a unique electric plate, so what do they need to do to get one?
This blog will show you how to get green number plate in the UK’
As an established registration plate maker, we at Bespoke Plates know how to add a unique and distinctive finish to your vehicle registration plate, further stating a level of individuality that can be the finishing touch to a vehicle you have already customised.
Bespoke Plates is a renowned and legally certified registration plate maker and installer, with options of 3D Plates, 4D plates, Show plates, and regular / electric vehicle plates and more. We are the one-stop shop for all things registration plates!
Whether it’s a private plate, gel plate, standard registration plate or plating accessories, we have you covered.
As a certified and experienced team of plate fitters and makers, our plates are installed to the specification of UK law, provided alongside the appropriate paperwork you need. (The only exception to this is show plates.)
Why do electric cars have green number plates?
The UK is adapting to environmentally friendly solutions, like ULEZ zones. Within these zones, such as Central London, plates are marked upon entry, if your vehicle is not in the ultra-low emission threshold, you may be charged to drive your vehicle through this zone. (This is separate from the congestion charge.)
This is where the plating of electric vehicles become important, it instantly lets the plate recognition systems know that the vehicle is electric and therefore not applicable to a ULEZ charge.
When it comes to other road users, knowing a vehicle is electric could be helpful, in case you’re blocking access to a charging point. Generally, it’s also helpful for somebody who needs a taxi but is still trying to be environmentally conscious.
Do hybrid vehicles have green number plates?
No, hybrid vehicles are not eligible for a green number plate, this is because they still require the use of traditional fuel. Although they emit a lower amount of emissions than their traditional fuel counterparts, its not enough for a green plate. Green plates are exclusive to fully electric vehicles.
How to get green number plate in the UK
Getting a green number plate is extremely simple, and is available through one of two ways:
- Purchase, rent or lease a fully electric vehicle. By doing this, you will have a plate that is registered for the vehicle.
- Contact a legal plate manufacturer to create the plate for you to purchase. You should only do this if you have an electric vehicle, or are expecting to drive one, using a green number plate on a regular plate is a form of fraud and can make you liable for legal repercussions.
Can you customise electric vehicle number plates?
Yes! We at Bespoke Plates offer our 3D/4D gel plate options, including the Hex plate shape option for anybody looking to get a unique electric vehicle registration plate.
Electric vehicle registration plates can be customised to the same degree as a regular registration plate. But you must make sure the green band is visible and present in its correct location.
If you choose to upgrade your number plate through Bespoke Plates, you can rest easy knowing that we customise your plates with full compliance with the law.
Aside from show plates, our customisation options for your number plate are fully compliant with the regulations set out by the UK government, which we will detail further in the blog.
Ordering a green number plate
Bespoke Plates make the process easy and efficient. By following these steps you will also have the option to see the plate before making a decision.
Visualising how your plate can look in real-time, with the characters from your actual registration plate, saves time and makes it easy for you to know what you want before you get it. Let us walk you through the process of choosing your plate through us.
- Head to the Bespoke Plates website
- Select the plate style you want under the “Build Your Plate” tab. Alternatively, you can follow this link.
- Enter your registration (You can press ‘preview’ to see your registration with all of the modification options you have selected.)
- When selecting an electric plate you can opt for 3D/4D options, a Hex plate, and whether or not you want a legal plate or a show plate.
- Select preferred optional accessories.
- Choose if you are collecting with installation, or if you want it to be delivered.
If you choose to install through us, we can remove and replace your old registration plate, taking the hassle and hard work out of your hands. Of course, you can opt to remove your plate yourself.
Please note, if you are purchasing an electric vehicle number plate, it must not be for a vehicle that is not electric.
Legality of green number plates
When it comes to number plates for electric vehicles, they must follow the already established legalities of number plates in the UK, in addition to displaying the green stripe on the side of the plate. Below are the rulings of UK number plates.
*Please do your due diligence and research, some unverified registration plate providers may not be making their plates to the legal specification, which could become an inconvenience for you. Visiting Bespoke Plates is the best way to avoid this trouble.
Alternatively, using the government gateway to find licenced and approved plate makers is the best option for peace of mind and finding plate makers close to you. Enter your postcode on the government gateway website.
What are the legal requirements for a registration plate?
The legal terms that a registration plate must adhere to are:
- be made from a reflective material – for road safety
- black display characters on a white background (front plate)
- black display characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
- not have a background pattern – so as not to distort the readability of your plate
- be marked to show who supplied the registration plate – to assist with thefts and sourcing queries
- be marked with a British Standard number – this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021
- Characters must not be removable or reflective. If your registration plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.
You can find the full list of legal requirements here.
Buy a green number plate today
In this blog, we have highlighted our plate options, and the information you need in order to our stylish customisation option to your vehicle. We aim to have answered the question ‘What is the green stripe on a number plate?’
We hope that we provided all the correct answers and options for all of your plate modification needs.
Bespoke Plates have all the options you can ask for, as an approved registration vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.
To get in touch and discuss the full fitting service we offer with our plates you can talk to one of the members of our team by:
Phone 0333 006 7878
36A Broughton Street,