If you’ve just purchased, or considering purchasing a new number plate, the main question that comes afterwards is “what is the best way to install it?”. There is more than one method to installing a number plate, but the best option all hinges on what works better for you.
In this blog, we will provide insights on how to fit a number plate.
Bespoke Plates is a renowned and legally certified registration platemaker and installer, with options of 3D Plates, 4D Plates, Show Plates, and regular / Electric Vehicle Plates and more. We are the one-stop shop for all things registration plates!
Whether it’s a Private Plate, Gel Plate, Standard Registration Plate or plating accessories, we have you covered.
As a certified and experienced team of plate fitters and makers, our plates are installed to the specification of UK law, provided alongside the appropriate paperwork you require. (The only exception to this is show plates.)
Why we need number plates
Simply put, a number plate is to your car, what a passport is to you. It is a form of identification that confirms who the legal drivers of said vehicle are, and what vehicle the plate represents (Brand and model). If number plates did not exist, it would be much more difficult to ascertain who is the legal driver of a vehicle.
Why aren’t plates part of the vehicle?
The reason the number plate identification of a vehicle isn’t engraved, and remains a separate part of the vehicle, is for a few reasons.
- You may want to purchase or create your own private plate for the vehicle you are driving.
- You are interested in getting a 3D or 4D gel plate for your vehicle.
- Your bumper may be badly damaged enough to require a replacement, though the plate is fine.
- If your plate was engraved into the vehicle, systems such as ANPR would have a difficult time identifying it. Number plates are easy to read by systems and road users/pedestrians alike.
The cost of a number plate
For a standard sized number plate, We at Bespoke Plates offer £19.50 for a single number plate. Ordering a front and backplate comes to a reduced total rate of £30.
That being said, there are multiple optional extras you can purchase that will add a premium onto the plate you order. They are…
- 3D/4D plates
- Adding a border
- Tinting the plate
- Side badges
- Accessories including fitting kits or a number plate holder.
- Sizing changes
- Hex Plate option
- Show Plate (subject to customisation that is applied).
Plate tinting, and show plates, are not legal for road use under any circumstances. Please be aware of this if you intend on purchasing these options. We are not responsible for any consequences that await should you proceed to drive with illegal plates.
How to fit number plates
Number plates can either be fitted yourself, or by seeking a certified platemaker who can carry out the installation for you. If you choose to do it yourself, you must make sure that whichever option you choose, the plate must:
- Be securely attached. This means that it shouldn’t move at all once it has been attached.
- The readability of the plate isn’t affected. This means that the characters on the plate must not be distorted or hard to read as a result of your installation method.
- The method of attachment isn’t achieved through DIY methods such as arts and crafts level tape or glue.
- The plate is fitted flat against on the bumper, meaning the plate isn’t tilting upwards or downwards. It is facing directly straight.
Can I have a number plate installed?
Yes, if you opt to get your number plate through Bespoke Plates, we have an option to have it installed, guaranteeing a secure attachment from a seasoned expert.
Other legally certified platemakers can also provide this option. If you’re struggling to find out where certified platemakers are in your locality, simply enter your postcode in this link. After doing so, you will be presented with certified platemakers that are close to you.
What can I fit number plates with?
- Sticky pads – Sticky pads serve to be a completely screw-free option, enabling you to preserve your plate perfectly. Sticky pads use an adhesive to achieve a lasting connection with the bumper.
Although this method is secure enough for attachment, it can be removed with enough force. This is something to consider if you own a private plate or have had issues with theft in the past.
- Number plate holder – A number plate holder only partly employs the use of screws, however, they do not go through your plate, keeping them pristine. Number plate holders act as a casing for your number plate, whilst providing reliable and durable protection that is much more difficult to remove.
The number plate holders we offer come in either chrome or black, if you require screws to attach your number plate holder, we also sell a screw pack.
Is it better to install a number plate myself?
If you have the equipment, expertise, and experience to do this, then in some instances it can be better to install a number plate yourself. That being said, we would not recommend this to anyone lacking the skills required to do this.
For peace of mind, as well as the guidance and expertise of a proficient platemaker, we would strongly recommend installing via a certified platemaker.
How experts install new number plates
Bespoke Plates makes the hassle of getting yourself a brand-new number plate easy and efficient. Here is the process.
By following these steps, you will also have the option to see the plate before making a decision.
Visualising how your plate can look in real-time, with the characters from your actual registration plate, saves time and makes it easy for you to know what you want before you get it. Let us walk you through the process of choosing your plate through us.
- Head to the Bespoke Plates website
- Select the plate style you want under the “Build Your Plate” tab. Alternatively, you can follow this link.
- Enter your registration (You can press ‘preview’ to see your registration with all the modification options you have selected.)
- When selecting your chosen plate, you can opt for 3D/4D options, a Hex plate, and whether you want a legal plate or a show plate.
- Select preferred optional accessories.
- Decide if you are collecting with installation, or if you want it to be delivered.
Installing through Bespoke Plates ensures the best service & secure installation for your number plate, along with guidance for any questions you may have.
Expert plate installation
We firstly discuss your preferences for installation, and decide the best method possible depending on your needs. Whether it’s using sticky pads, a number plate holder, or screws, we guarantee your plate will be fitted perfectly. You will be provided with all the guidance you require regarding maintenance and removal.
Fit a new number plate today
In this blog, we have highlighted our plate options, and the information you need in order to obtain our stylish customisation options for your vehicle. We aim to have shown you how to fit a number plate.
We hope that we have provided all the right answers and options for all of your plate modification needs.
Bespoke Plates has all the options you can ask for, as an approved registration vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.
To get in touch and discuss the full fitting service we offer with our plates, you can talk to one of the members of our team by:
Phone 0333 006 7878
36A Broughton Street,