How much would you be prepared to pay for the personalised number plate of your dreams?
In this article, we will examine why private number plates can rack up hundreds and thousands of pounds, thanks to their popularity all over the world.
We will also answer this question: how much is A1 number plate worth?
How much is A1 number plate worth?
So, how much is A1 number plate worth?
The A1 number plate is valued at a staggering £5 million!
The plate was originally issued to Earl Russell in December 1903, who placed it on his Napier vehicle. For years after that, the number plate was owned by the chairman of London County Council, who placed it on his official car. After he died, the plate was sold and the proceeds were donated to a dogs’ home, as per the councilman’s request.
What are the most expensive number plates?
Let’s take a look at a few of the most expensive number plates ever recorded:
- 1: which was purchased for £7.25 million by Emirati businessman Saeed Abdul Ghaffar Khouri in 2008.
- 25 O: which was purchased for £518,000 by classic car dealer John Collins for his Ferrari 250.
- XI: which was sold for £502,500 and is currently valued at £1 million.
- F1: which was sold to business entrepreneur Afzal Khan for a whopping £440,000.
- SI: which is the first ever number plate issued in Scotland, purchased for £404,063.
Why are private number plates so expensive?
When shopping for personalised number plates, you will notice that they can run up a hefty price tag.
This is because each private plate is completely unique. No two personalised number plates are ever the same.
Every time a custom plate is manufactured, it has a new, original registration number, with a new letter and number combination.
This creates exclusivity and scarcity when it comes to custom plates, meaning there is a huge demand for popular names, numbers, phrases and slogans.
This hikes the prices up because the original owner has many customers who are willing to buy the number plate from them. That is why private number plates are a highly lucrative investment opportunity.
When you don’t want your private plate anymore, you can sell it and make a profit. Other people might see the value in your plate, as it may reflect their personality or align with traits of their life. So, there will always be buyers who are eager to get their hands on your unwanted number plate!
What are the legal requirements for personalised number plates in the UK?
The UK has strict rules about what your number plate should look like on your vehicle.
The V750 is the document that assigns the actual registration mark to the new owner. This document will be needed for assigning a plate and for selling in the future.
The V778 is the retention document needed to keep ownership of a private plate and to be able to use it legally on the roads. Valid for ten years, it only needs to be renewed if the plate is not currently assigned to a vehicle.
Also, your number plate must meet the following conditions:
- must be made from a reflective material – for the purpose of road safety.
- must have black display characters on a white background (front plate).
- must have black display characters on a yellow background (rear plate).
- must not have a background pattern – so as not to distort the readability of your plate.
- must be marked to show who supplied the number plate – to assist with thefts and sourcing queries.
- must be marked with a British Standard number – this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021.
- The characters must not be removable or reflective. If your number plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.
- have 3D (raised) characters
- display certain flags, symbols and identifiers
- display a green flash, if you have a zero-emission vehicle
Additionally, the British standard number should be permanently marked, non-retroreflecting, a single colour, and be no less than 3mm x 10mm in size.
What if my personalised number plate is illegal?
If you have incorrectly displayed number plates, you could be fined up to £1,000 and your vehicle may fail its MOT test.
Where can I buy a personalised number plate?
If you need a road-safety compliant number plate, then there’s no need to worry: at Bespoke Plates, all of our custom number plates are 100% legal for use on the road.
Are you looking for a decorative, promotional number plate instead, which won’t be used on the road? Then, our number plates are available in show form, so this option is for you!
How to buy a Custom Number Plate from Bespoke Plates
To buy a personalised number plate from us at Bespoke Plates:
- Head to our website, and choose between 3D or 4D plates under the ‘build your plate’ tab.
- Enter your registration for a preview of the plate.
- Specify whether this will be a legal plate or a show plate.
- Choose your style.
- Select whether your plate will be for the front and back of your car or just one of them.
- Select your size.
- Select additional customizable options.
- Have it delivered to your home.
What documents do I need to purchase a number plate?
When purchasing a number plate, you must prove that you are the registered vehicle owner. Hence, you will have to provide us with either:
- the V5C logbook
- the V5CNI logbook
- V5C/2 or V5C/2NI new keeper slip
- the V778 certificate
You must also bring a document to confirm your name and identity. These could be your:
- driving license
- current passport
- National identity card
- utility bill/Council Tax bill from the last 6 months
- bank statement from the last 6 months
- bank card/ credit card
- financial statement from the last 6 months
How do you install a private number plate on your car?
Alternatively, our expert technicians can also install your plates for you, if you don’t feel comfortable doing it yourself. Get in contact with us and see how we can help you today.
As a legally recognised supplier and installer of private plates, we can guarantee your plates will abide by the specifications of the law.
Read more articles like this
To learn more about personalised number plate, click here to read our blog articles and helpful pages on:
- What Are the Rules for Private Number Plates?
- Do You Have to Pay Yearly for a Personalised Number Plate?
- Do Custom Plates Raise Insurance?
- Are Custom Number Plates Illegal?
- Can I Drill My Number Plate?
- Can You Clone a Number Plate?
About Bespoke Plates
As one of the established number plate makers in the UK, we at Bespoke Plates have all the options you can ask for. From 3D plates, 4D plates, standard number plates, gel plates, and electric plates, we offer outstanding craftsmanship with every plate we produce.
So, what are you waiting for? Browse our options to get the plate that speaks to you, and speaks for you, with Bespoke Plates.
- Email – email@example.com
- Phone – 0333 006 7878
- Visit in-store–36A Broughton Street, Manchester, England, M8 8NN.
We hope this article has answered the question ‘how much is A1 number plate worth?’
Want to read more about all things custom number plates? Check out our blog here.