Licence plate modification is slowly but surely becoming a common customisation that people opt for, plate modifications come in the form of gel plates and Hex plates (and more) in combination or separately.
In this blog we will be answering the question ‘Are Hex reg plates good?’
As an established registration plate maker, we at Bespoke Plates know how to add a unique and distinctive finish to your vehicle registration plate, further stating a level of individuality that can be the finishing touch to a vehicle you have already customised.
Bespoke Plates is a renowned and legally certified registration plate maker and installer, with options of 3D Plates, 4D plates, Show plates, and regular / electric vehicle plates and more. We are the one-stop shop for all things registration plates!
Whether it’s a private plate, gel plate, standard registration plate or plating accessories, we have you covered.
As a certified and experienced team of plate fitters and makers, our plates are installed to the specification of UK law, provided alongside the appropriate paperwork you need. (The only exception to this is show plates.)
What is a Hex plate?
A Hex plate refers to a registration plate which has a elongated hexagonal shape, as opposed to the standard rectangular shape. These can also be known as ‘Lambo plates’ referring to the car manufacturer Lamborghini, who are known for these styles of plates.
Are there more shapes than the Hex plate?
Yes, there are more shapes available, however at the moment we at Bespoke Plates supply the hexagonal shape.
When it comes to other shapes, it becomes slightly more difficult to balance the required size and spaces of the registration plate characters on uneven shapes such as an oval for example.
It is vital for spacings and characters to follow the rules established by the government, any deviation from these rules would result in the plate being illegal.
Why do people choose Hex plates?
Hex plates are chosen for a myriad of reasons, it is all ultimately at the discretion of the vehicle owner. Car customisers would opt to add this as it is one of the only legal registration plate alteration that can be made that has a asthetic appeal.
The reality is Hex plates are now accessible to everyone, and for someone with a car that has sentimental value, a Hex plate along with a gel plate is the perfectly subtle yet captivating customisation option for anyone and everyone,
Is a Hex reg plate legal?
*Please do your due diligence and research, some unverified licence plate providers may not be making their plates to the legal specification, which could become a massive inconvenience for you. Visiting Bespoke Plates is the best way to avoid this trouble.
Alternatively, using the government gateway to find licenced and approved plate makers is the best option for peace of mind and finding a plate maker close to you. Enter your postcode on the government gateway website.
What are the legal requirements for a registration plate?
The legal terms that a registration plate must adhere to are:
- be made from a reflective material – for road safety
- black display characters on a white background (front plate)
- black display characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
- not have a background pattern – so as not to distort the readability of your plate
- be marked to show who supplied the registration plate – to assist with thefts and sourcing queries
- be marked with a British Standard number – this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021
- The characters must not be removable or reflective. If your registration plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.
You can find the full list of legal requirements here.
What makes a Hex plate illegal?
Hex plates, if the do not follow the standards described above can become illegal, which can result in you getting in trouble with the authorities. At Bespoke Plates, we will be sure to tell you if your modification goes beyond the legal threshold.
An illegal Hex plate can look like:
- Not having the white or yellow background
- Having a different coloured or incorrectly spaced/shaped characters
- Incorrectly applied/ loose fit.
- Additional characters/symbols that have no relevance to the legality of the plate
Are Hex reg plates good?
Yes, Hex registration plates are good. Though their purpose is strictly aesthetic, they are unique and sure to add an understated look of slickness to your car. If you are looking for reasons to buy a Hex registration plate, the most important factor to consider is do you like the look of them?
For those looking for a level of practicatllity along with the aesthic benefits, you should consider getting a Hex plate in conjunction with a 3D or 4D gel plate.
Due to the materials used to create the gel characters, the plates have a small but effective additional layer of protecticon.
The difference between a good Hex plate and a bad Hex plate
Features of a good Hex plate
- A good Hex plate is equilatrial in shape, meaning the shape of the plate is not askew. Making it easier for characters to be added correctly onto the plate.
- The edges are rounded off in the same manner as rectangular plates, this minimises a chance of injury incase the plate becomes loose, or if someone is handling it.
- The plate follows the previously highlighted legal stipulations
- The plate can still be attached to the vehicle
Features of a bad Hex plate
- Its edges are not equally angled, making it look mishapen and uneven.
- Sharp edges that have the potential to hurt someone.
- The plate does not follow the required legal stipulations
- The plate can not be attached to the vehicle by the regular means.
How do I order a Hex plate?
By following these steps you will have the option to see the plate before making a decision.
Visualising how your plate can look in real-time, with the characters from your actual registration plate, saves time and makes it easy for you to know what you want before you get it. Let us walk you through the process of choosing your plate through us.
- Head to the Bespoke Plates website
- Choose your plate style (3D, 4D, Standard)
- Choose your style (legal or show plate)
- Select where this plate will go (front, back or both)
- Select plate size, scroll down & select the Hex/Lambo plate option
- Select optional accessories.
- Enter your registration plate in our visualiser & press ‘preview’
- Choose if you are collecting with installation, or if you want it to be delivered.
Order a Hex reg plate today
In this blog, we have highlighted our Hex plates, and all the information you need in order to add this stylish customisation option to your plate. We aim to have answered the question ‘Are Hex reg plates good?’ And we hope that we provided all the right answers and options for all of your plate modification needs.
Bespoke Plates have all the options you can ask for, as an approved licence vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.
To get in touch and discuss the full fitting service we offer with our plates you can talk to one of the members of our team by:
Phone 0333 006 7878
36A Broughton Street,