With the accessibility of plate modification becoming common amongst vehicle owners, it is only natural people will have questions. Hex plates are one of many modifications people will have queries on.
In this blog, we will be answering the question ‘Are Hex plates illegal in the UK?’
As an established number plate maker, we at Bespoke Plates know how to add a unique and distinctive finish to your vehicle registration plate, further stating a level of individuality that can be the finishing touch to a vehicle you have already customised.
Bespoke Plates is a renowned and legally certified number plate maker and installer, with options of 3D Plates, 4D plates, Show plates, and regular / electric vehicle plates and more. We are the one-stop shop for all things number plates!
As a certified and experienced team of plate fitters and makers, our plates are installed to the specification of UK law, provided alongside the appropriate paperwork you need. (The only exception to this is show plates.)
What are Hex plates?
A Hex plate is short for a hexagonal plate. These plates are given this name due to their elongated hexagonal (six-sided) shape, as opposed to the traditional rectangular-styled number plates.
Can anyone buy a Hex plate?
Yes, they are not required specifically for any type of road user. Hex plates are purely an optional style to apply to your number plate, they only serve an aesthetic purpose, whilst still retaining the durability and intended function of a standard shape number plate.
You don’t necessarily need a Hex plate, but for those considering a unique and eye-catching level of customisation for their number plate, Hex plates are a valid option amongst the variety we possess at Bespoke Plates.
Are Hex plates illegal in the UK?
Hex number plates ARE legal in the UK.
*Please do your due diligence and research, some unverified registration plate providers may not be making their plates to the legal specification, which could become a massive inconvenience for you. Visiting Bespoke Plates is the best way to avoid this trouble.
Alternatively, using the government gateway to find licenced and approved plate makers is the best option for peace of mind and finding a plate maker close to you. Enter your postcode on the government gateway website.
What are the legal requirements for a number plate?
The legal terms that a number plate must adhere to are:
- be made from a reflective material – for road safety
- black display characters on a white background (front plate)
- black display characters on a yellow background (rear plate)
- not have a background pattern – so as not to distort the readability of your plate
- be marked to show who supplied the number plate – to assist with thefts and sourcing queries
- be marked with a British Standard number – this is ‘BS AU 145e’ for plates fitted after 1 September 2021
- The characters must not be removable or reflective. If your number plates were fitted after 1 September 2021, they must also be a single shade of black.
You can find the full list of legal requirements here.
Although there is no specific sentence that allows the use of hex plates, there is no mention of the required shape of the registration plate here, this means that as long as the hex plates do not interfere with the other highlighted requirements, they are legal.
Aside from show plates, as a certified plate vendor, we at Bespoke Plates pride ourselves on being able to produce road-legal, top-quality plate customisations. Rest assured that if your plating choices pass the legal threshold, we will inform you.
For countries outside of the UK, Hex plates may not be legal.
Will Hex plates affect my insurance?
There generally isn’t any instance in which a plate would affect your insurance, though it must be noted that different insurers have different stipulations. It would be in your best interest to contact them directly before committing to any modification that could affect your insurance.
Do Hex plates affect leased cars?
The likelihood is that a leased car will have specific specifications that will not allow you to partake of any modification of the vehicle. Though again it is always best to contact your leasing agency directly to enquire.
That being said, it is highly unlikely for a leased car to be allowed its own modifications (unless done by the leaser themselves.) This is because usually after lease agreements are over, someone else will use the vehicle.
Will Hex plates pass an MOT?
A hex plate has as much of a possibility of failing an MOT as a standard number plate. A plate will fail an MOT if it is not securely attached, presents a hazard or if the characters on the plates do not meet the specification in terms of spacing, colour etc.
Ordering a Hex plate
Ordering your hex plate is simple when you go through Bespoke Plates.
Visualising how your plate can look in real-time, with the characters from your actual registration plate, saves time and makes it easy for you to know what you want before you get it. Let us walk you through the process of choosing your plate through us.
- Head to the Bespoke Plates website
- Choose your plate style (Standard, 3D, 4D)
- Enter your registration plate in our visualiser & press ‘preview’
- Choose your style (legal or show plate)
- Select where this plate will go (front, back or both)
- Select plate size
- Select optional accessories – This is where you can choose the Hex plate.
- Choose if you are collecting with installation, or if you want it to be delivered.
The 3 best number plate makers
Please note that some of these options (excluding Bespoke Plates) may not contain gel plates/Hex plates.
- Government gateway – Although this option isn’t a specific plate maker, using the government gateway to find licenced and approved plate makers is the best option for peace of mind and finding a plate maker close to you. Enter your postcode on the government gateway website.
- Halfords – Halfords is an established name when it comes to all things vehicle related. Halfords offers standard replacement number plates. With options for the front & back plates, and also get it fitted.
*This option is at your own discretion. You must do your own due diligence before purchasing a number plate. Research the manufacturer, otherwise, you may have to buy and install a new plate all over again.
1.Bespoke Plates – Bespoke Plates is a leading, certified and trusted number plate maker, with years of experience and an array of options available ranging from normal registration plates to show plates and even gel number plates which contain their own options.
Bespoke Plates not only has a wide variety of options but also additional extras for your plate, as well as installation options.
Order your Hex plate today
In this blog, we have highlighted our Hex plates, and all the information you need in order to add this stylish customisation option to your plate. We aim to have answered the question ‘Are Hex plates illegal in the UK?’ And we hope that we provided all the right answers and options for all of your plate modification needs.
Bespoke Plates have all the options you can ask for, as an approved registration vendor we can guarantee your modification abides by the DVLA rules whilst offering same-day collections and full fitting service.
To get in touch and discuss the full fitting service we offer with our plates you can talk to one of the members of our team by:
Phone 0333 006 7878
36A Broughton Street,